Brightspace by D2L Tips: Self-Enroll Groups as Sign Up Sheets
Using self-enroll groups in Brightspace by D2L is a great alternative to using a spreadsheet as a sign up sheet for presentations or office hours. Set the group names to the desired dates/times and students will be able to enroll in a group as well as unenroll if needed. Instructors can also manually enroll or unenroll students. Export the classlist from the grade book with the group membership option checked to download a list of students and the group they chose.
Create Self-Enroll Groups in D2L
- Go to Communication -> Groups in the navbar.
- Click New Category and give it a name.
- Change the Enrollment Type to # of Groups, Capacity of # - Self Enrollment.
- Enter the maximum number of students who can enroll in a group under Number of Users and enter the total number of desired groups under Number of Groups.
- Open the Advanced Properties if you need to set an expiration date for when students can no longer self enroll or change to a different group.
- For presentations, you may also want to set up group assignments so that students can easily submit their presentation file.
- Click Save and the groups will be created.
- Click on each group's name to rename it.
- Add a quicklink to the self-enrollment group in an Announcement or on a Content page, or direct students to Communication -> Groups. If you have the permissions to impersonate a student, you can see what the self enroll process looks like.
- After students have finished enrolling, go to Assessments -> Grades -> Enter Grades and click Export. Click the box next to Group Membership and choose either Export to CSV or Export to Excel to download the spreadsheet.
- If you need to manually enroll students in a group or want to clear out the groups to re-use them, click the down arrow by the category name and choose Enroll Users.